Monday, July 13, 2009

The Swift and UMass


July 17 - My son and I left early afternoon to head to Amherst, MA for a 2-day lacrosse tournament. He was driving (for the first time ever) and since he did such a good job, time-wise, we headed for the Swift River.


It has been a few years since I was on the Swift and this time, there seemed to be many more visible fish than I remembered. Maybe the extended high water mentioned from other posts has contributed to the early season low catch rates, but the number of fish was impressive.


We parked near the Rt. 9 bridge and walked up towards the Y-Pool Any place we stopped, we saw fish in the river. There were a total of 9 fishermen spread along the river. We got to the Y-Pool and the fish were everywhere. As we watched one gentleman, he threw a #18 dry and hooked into a nice rainbow.


We headed back to the car and stopped to look at another flyer just south of the bridge. Where he was standing there were no less than twenty trout in front of him. Then I saw the Swift River trout I remembered well - not one taker on anything he offered.


I am now looking forward to heading back to the river to try my luck. As an aside, my son's team went 4-1 at the tourney.






1 comment:

  1. When you go back just remember to take your camera. We wouldn't want any fish stories about the one that got away without a picture to back it up!

    ReplyDelete