Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Batten Kill Browns




I ventured to the Batten Kill on Tuesday, September 29. It was early evening and chilly. Rain came and went early in the day. The river was at a good level and cold. The leaves were in full force on the water making any kind of dry presentation improbable. There was a good caddis hatch coming off but no risers.




Thinking of what to use, I remembered my first fly tying class five years ago that I took through Hunter's out of New Boston (Now Stone Creek Outfitters). The instructor was Dick Talleur. The two-day class was great and fun. One pattern we tied was the Morrish Mouse - a lesson in hair stacking and using foam. I have carried it with me for 5 years and decided to give it a go. On the first cast, the pictured brown exploded out of the water and took it. About 10 minutes later, I took the second brown, both about 14".




I was fishing on the NY/VT line off Rt. 313 - a great stretch of water. The Vermont Batten Kill closes October 30 while the NY side is open all year.




Batten Kill browns are always a challenge but two in one evening was great fun.


1 comment:

  1. Two browns from the Battenkill in one night speaks highly of your fishing prowess! Wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete