Monday, May 11, 2009

It was a Great Weekend for Fishing (sort of) 5/9/09

As you can see from Jeff’s first post(below), I’m not allowed to give the name of our favorite fishing hole for fear that the people reading this blog will flock to it and ruin it for the rest of us. Personally I think he’s just being selfish!

In any case, with my wife away for a couple of weeks and not home for Mother’s Day, I had no alternative but to be out on the water chasing some trout this weekend. Just to mix things up a bit, Jeff and I went out early Saturday Morning, we were on the water by 6:00 am.











It was cloudy, eventually it rained, but the wind was absent and the fish were rising. I only had a few hours of fishing in front of me as I had to get to Logan to pick up my eldest son who flew in for a few days to watch his brother’s lacrosse games this week.

In any case, I got a few Saturday morning, Brookies all. I fished a dropper rig, Elk Hair Caddis on top, Prince Nymph on the bottom, both tied by my own hand. The nicest one was a 13” Brookie which gave me quite a fight. When I left Jeff was "0" for the day and it was starting to rain. I caught up with Jeff on Sunday and he tells me it stopped raining shortly after I left and that he hooked into 3 Brookies. Unfortunately, he didn’t have his camera so I guess we just have to take his word on this. I also met up with Jamie on Sunday, you’ll remember, he went with Jeff the week before for Salmon and he also was a bit hesitant when I mentioned that Jeff picked up an Atlantic Salmon and he got skunked. He was quick to point out that while Jeff said he hooked into a fish, Jamie was not around to see it! Hmmm, I am starting to sense a pattern here. Jeff, I think you should put your camera in your vest for future trips so that no one will question your reports. Not that I would ever question you integrity of course!!!

On Sunday I borrowed one of Jeff’s kayaks and took my visiting son, Joe, with me to the pond.



It was pretty windy and I didn’t expect much but when you have a chance to share a passion with one of your kids you take it! And it was windy, the two of us were blown all over the pond but in the end I caught what was probably my nicest fish so far this year. I haven’t run the tape measure against my net to see what the actual size was but I’m guessing it’s in the 16” range.



What a nice rainbow, it took close to 15 minutes to bring it in. Again I was fishing an Elk Hair Caddis on top with a Prince Nymph dropper and picked this one up on the dropper.

Not a bad Mother’s Day weekend for a Dad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment