Friday, May 1, 2009

Opening Day

Jeff and I went out to one of our favorite little ponds for opening day last Saturday (4/25/09) and we weren’t disappointed. I caught 4-5 Brookies, a couple of nice sized ones, but Jeff picked up the nicest fish of the day:



A very nice Tiger Trout










When we got to the pond it was a little windy, I was out in my new Kayak, and Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 15, very nice kayak, moves well, very maneuverable, especially with the rudder system, plenty of room and I just love the Rod Pod feature:



But I digress.












Even with the wind, there was a small protected area of the pond that caused most of the fishermen to stack up but, as I have found with most Fly Fishermen (but certainly not all) everyone moved in and out of the area and everyone was willing to share their secrets and help each other catch fish.

Jeff and I weren’t having much luck which was especially annoying as we were watching a couple of guys from Bedford reeling in fish after fish. They shared with us their secret; they were fishing with a dropper rig. Now for those of you who don’t know what this is, and to be honest, this was the first time I ever tried one, it is a dry fly tied on the end of your leader and then taking a piece of tippet, maybe 18” – 24” long, tie it to the bend in the hook of the dry and tie a nymph (or whatever the fish are hitting) on the end of the tippet. Throw the whole thing out there and see what you catch. This did the trick! I had an Elk Hair Caddis on top and a Bead Head Nymph as the dropper. WHAM!! We were catching fish like no tomorrow!! At one point I had a fish on the nymph and, while I was trying to bring him in, another trout was hitting the Caddis as it was whipping around being pulled by the first fish in a bunch of directions.

What more could a person ask for, sunny, 85 degrees weather, fish rising and hitting what we were fishing. Sadly I’m at work today, Jeff, however, is on the Pemigewasset hunting Atlantic Salomon with another friend of ours. Hopefully the next post will come from him with the details of what those two have been catching all morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment