Friday, May 15, 2009

Old Trips

I was cleaning up my photos and came across a few pictures from last year. Last year was my first year in many that I started actively fly fishing again and is when I really got hooked. It was also the first year I started tying my own flies and my goal was to catch some fish on flies that were tied by my own hand. As I started fishing, I started to talk to friends, neighbors and business associates about the sport and was very surprised to find out how many people I knew that were avid fisherman and, even more surprising, fly fisherman.

Anyway, I was invited out to Seattle to do a little Steelhead fishing but when I got there the rivers were running a little high so we went to a small pond instead. I have to tell you, the fish are BIG out there or at least they were in this pond.

Here are pictures of a couple of fish I caught on woolly buggers out there:









To say I had fun would be an understatement! I must have landed 6 – 7 all around this size. Sorry for the quality, being new to the whole adventure I wasn’t equipped with a camera, luckily I had my cell phone along, the quality isn’t as nice as the camera I now carry but the proof is in the pic!












I also attended the Orvis Fly Fishing School in Manchester VT with Jeff and another friend. It was a two day course, teaching us some basic techniques of casting, even learned a little about double hauling, fly tying, equipment, and knots. I even got a chance to fish the famed Battenkill River. At night the three of us would sneak off to some ponds in the area and try our hand at what we learned that day. Here is a picture from that excursion:







Not much of a fish but this is the first one I ever caught on a fly I tied myself. I caught it on top with an Elk Hair Caddis.










I would recommend the class to anyone who might be interested. The instructors were great, the two days fun and overall it was a good time on the water. In any case, I hope to get out this weekend, weather permitting, and I’ll let you know how it goes next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment