Tuesday, June 9, 2009

News from PA

I was sharing my blog and comparing my weekend fishing stories yesterday with a buddy of mine, Ralph, from South Jersey and I thought, maybe, some of you out there would like to hear what’s going on in other parts of the world. I asked, and Ralph agreed that I could post a little bit about what he was up to down there.





Ralph is an avid fly fisherman, this past weekend he was out on Huntington Creek in Pennsylvania at the Twin Bridges section.












It would seem he had a great day out, alone on the Creek bringing in 10 fish, all on dry flies. Now one might think they breed small fish in Pennsylvania but knowing that the Brown pictured to the left isn't a stockie but a natural stream bred fish commands a little respect.






Ralph had gone out and bought an old (some might say antique) glass rod, specifically a 7’ 3wt and loaded it with Cortland’s new Sylk line. Not knowing what that meant, I checked it out on line and found that Courtland has developed a synthetic fly line with the characteristics of the old silk lines used in my grandfather’s day. It’s supposed to be thinner, smoother and was developed specifically for bamboo and glass rods but is advertised to work well with the new rods on the market today. It would seem Ralph was quite pleased with the results:

“Not too bad of a morning Saturday…..fished Huntington Creek at the Twin Bridges section. 10 fish to hand, all on dry flies. One bigger fish kept my fly and broke me off, Had my 7’ 3wt glass rod out with a Cortland Sylk line…..first time fishing the line and pretty happy with it. Not a soul on the water all morning, with the entire creek for about a mile to myself.”

I don’t know about all of you out there but I like to hear about other fishing trips that people have. If anyone would like to submit a post for this blog, feel free to send me an email at blog@vansconsulting.com. The more information the better and it needs to have some pictures if you want to get it posted.

Thanks Ralph for the report; I also hear you have developed a few fly’s on your own, maybe we can convince you to sending some recipes and pictorial instructions to post here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment