Monday, June 8, 2009

Tigers and Brookies and Bows, OH MY!

After two weeks I finally got out this weekend. I got started early Saturday morning, on the pond by 6:30am to a slightly overcast, still morning. To my surprise I was alone on the lake, not a soul to be found, just me and the Cranes fishing that morning. I launched the Kayak and paddled directly across the lake to a small cove at the far end. I tied on the trusty Caddis on top, Prince Nymph dropper rig and began the quest.
Immediately I hooked into a nice fat 14” Bow on the Caddis and thought this was going to be a great day. As soon as I had that thought I reprimanded myself for jinxing the day recalling the last time out, when I hooked into a nice fish immediately and then spent the rest of the day fighting the winds that kicked up with no more fish to be found! But today would be different; as I was fishing I could hear fish breaking the surface a little ways away.
Paddling over to the far side of the lake I could see fish jumping. I don’t mean a fish here or there, I mean the fish were jumping!

I hooked into a nice Brookie and the fun began. Everything was hitting on top Saturday so I abandoned my dropper in favor of a variety of dry’s. It took some trial and error but I finally narrowed it down to darker Caddis’. It wasn’t easy, have you ever been in a situation where dozens of fish are jumping all around you and you’re trying to tie the ‘right fly’ on the end of your tippet? I couldn’t tie them on fast enough!!!







I hooked into about a dozen of these smaller fish in about a 1 hour time frame, it was glorious! Now I’m not saying any of these fish were trophy by any stretch of the imagination. They must have just stocked the pond that week, these were mostly 8” – 10” Bows, Brookies and Tigers (I even hooked into one Small Mouth Bass) but sometimes quantity makes up for quality and I was having a ball!





Unfortunately, the clock was ticking and I had to get back home but it was a lot of fun being out for the few hours I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment